District council honours local achievers
Six Misterton residents were nominated for Bassetlaw District Council’s 2019 Achievers Awards. They were presented with their certificates at a ceremony in March. The awards are presented to Bassetlaw people, who are serving the community by their efforts for charity, for individual achievements, for sport or group activities, or to those who have overcome adversity to lead a normal life.
The Misterton awards covered a range of village activities:
- Dorothy Richardson and Sandra Lonsdale for setting up the Misterton Gardeners Club in 2016. The club has gone from strength to strength: in September 2018, two years after it started, the club put on a successful horticultural show.
- 13-year-old Fabian Bott for completing a 50-mile cycle ride to raise funds for Motor Neurone Disease Association. He completed the ride at Misterton Fire Station where his family had organised a coffee morning. In all, £1,286 was raised.
- Pat Henson for being the key organiser of two flower festivals, in 2015 and 2018, that together have raised £6,350 for Misterton Parish Church.
- Victoria Taylor volunteers at Misterton Library every Saturday morning and is so competent at all aspects of running the library that she helps with the induction of new volunteers and is the mainstay of Saturday morning sessions
- Katie Credland for organising an evening of entertainment with a WWI theme in West Stockwith Village Hall last November. The event raised £492, which was shared between the Royal British Legion and the Village Hall.